Wednesday, August 28, 2013

pretty pointless, but still...

Los Angeles, and the setting sun

It's sort of frustrating realizing that you've been doing something for a while and there's no point to it. Like why I stopped trying to keep the cat off the kitchen table, why I don't wear my glasses anymore except to look smart, and why I stopped setting my alarm for 5:45 AM when I know without a doubt that I will not get out of bed until 6:05 AM.

This is the realization Nick and I came to last week when we were hashing out how we were going to get from point A to point B with our relationship (hey, I know you're reading this and I just don't want you to care that I'm telling the good people of the Interwebs that we strive for quality and direction with each other. And just so everyone knows, we're still going to move back to the Northwest and open a food cart. Friends get a discount). And it is also the realization I'm coming to with this blog. I don't really know where I'm going with it. It is inspiring to see dedicated bloggers, writers, and speakers choose a concentration like sewing, cooking, adventuring, or religion that they consistently tell stories about. 


So I've been thinking about what I write about: People, events, things that strike me as important to my life, little life lessons, transitions, comedic happenings. Since I moved to California I have been listening to audiobook comedies during commutes and have rediscovered the importance of humor in my life. To look at life with Tina Fey tinted glasses. And it has lifted the burden of so many stressful things! One day I hope to compile many hilarious stories that probably only my mom will read, and that will be just fine. But right now, whatever I'm writing about is good for me. It is awesome to take a memory, a stressor, a feeling, a realization or connection, a story you feel is worth telling and taking the time to put it down on paper. The cathartic process is important to me, and to all writers, but maybe the content isn't always.  


Anyways, so yeah, there's no point. And there's no point to this post. But I don't want to stop writing. I love to write about the people in my life and where I'm going, what I'm doing, what I'm discovering. And that's okay for right now. Because they are just stories about life, and we're all living it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment