Sunday, April 28, 2013

50 years is a long time to love something.

Photo: Dr. Loren Dickinson, founder of KGTS in 1963, stands in the door of the main studio. Pictures of former staff line the wall.

This weekend, we celebrated 50 years of service at the radio station. Hundreds of people came through our doors to look around, see what's changed, see what we're doing. 

There were tears welling up in my eyes as I listened to speeches and we sang the doxology together. I have been working there since I was 17 years old- and all I could think about as I listened was how blessed I am to have been saved by this ministry. It is buzzing with the loving yearning of God to connect with us. 

Let me tell you- it is hard to see the impact a group of people working for Christ can have until someone sits you down and tells you the story. PLR broadcasts 24/7 Christian music throughout the Northwest and all over the world through the website, they work to sponsor children through Compassion International, feed people in Cambodia with Musicianaries International, partner with local businesses, are present at church events, work to fill local food banks in the summer, partner to put on massive concerts and sometimes intimate smaller concerts. Our DJs go out to events to connect with listeners, they pray with listeners on the phone. They all work long, long hours. Overtime and weekends. They have families, they have pains, they are so ordinary, but come together and every day and become extraordinary. 

Scott Ligman, an Administrator for the University, said, "This team is committed to high-quality, Christ-centered programming. If you're not a regular listener  you should be. Starting with Don in the morning, who often is my companion on my treadmill even though he doesn't know it. They pursue a connection with their listener audience and make a positive difference in the lives of their listeners. PLR, Positive Life Radio, is not just a marketing phrase, it is reality on the air and in the offices that you see here. I'm proud to brag about this station. It is the most positive department atmosphere on our campus. They always make me feel welcome...It is a wonderful place to work."

As I sat there mhmm-ing, feeling so warm and safe, he said "This is a ministry that has far reaching inputs and outcomes all over the Northwest and worldwide." I love these people, I love this ministry, I'm in love with every bit of it. I hope to love it for as long as Dr. Dickinson has, 50 years and more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment