Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Swag + Stephanie

[The artist in her studio. Steph Smith.]


If there is one thing I would not want to give up career-wise, it would be working for a non-profit organization. This is probably because I have only worked for non-profit organizations and attended private schools my entire life. I appreciate the cause and hard work behind the 501(c)3 accreditation name tag.

But if there is one thing that made me question that, it was this: Last December, I went with my long-time (and beautiful, talented, amazing) roommate Stephanie Smith (she is not actually my roommate anymore, but we lived together for three years, so I don't know what else to call her) to her Christmas work party. Stephanie works at the Walla Walla Foundry, where huge and famous pieces of artwork are rendered and sent all over the world. I remember what came to my mind as I stepped into the exquisite winery building, with all the presents, the open bar, the beautiful dressed up people, the artwork:

Swag.

And it was then that I questioned my loyalty to the NPO. All the employees received lavish gifts from the president of the company, a free bottle of (super expensive) wine, an art book, and praise and attention plus Christmas bonuses. I know how hard Stephanie works, so I think she down-right-river deserves it! But I tried to look into my future and think about working for a non-profit international relief mission and I just didn't see any swag in that picture.

So I looked up a few jobs where they might celebrate big, and obviously nothing worked out and I'm still at a non-profit. But the thought of Stephanie and the Foundry still comes to mind; how they are doing something they believe in and that they love. They are sought after and know how to have fun at work. They are great at what they do. It's that old classic lesson! Do what you love and it won't feel like work. 

I've appreciated the years I've spent working for non-profits and I want to remember and resonate with the causes they fight for. And I want to believe that my heart is not so weak as to trade in the cooperative non-profit experience for a free coffee table book, though I want it badly sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment