Friday, July 19, 2013

Why you should carry a resume with you at all times.

[obviously, no comparison]

This past April, Rob Bell was doing a tour for his new book and we went to Beaverton to hear him speak at Powell's Books with our friends Lacey and Greg. I'm such a huge fan of Rob's; I am so totally down with the way he writes and I swoon over those hipster glasses he wears (Nick also wears glasses and is the hottest man alive). 

I had been looking for jobs as graduation was approaching quickly. And as Rob talked, he kept mentioning how excited he was to be working in Los Angeles on a new project. I thought, "Hey! I could definitely help him with that!" I then whispered to Nick that I was going to give Rob my number. I took a receipt out of my pocket and wrote "REBECCA HANAN. I'M NICE AND QUALIFIED" on the back of it along with my email and phone number. And I should note that when you write that, you should believe that about yourself.

But I began to question those things about myself as we got in line to have him sign our books, my palms started to sweat a little. What was I doing?! Is it okay to give famous people your phone number?! Is there a rule against doing that?! What if he doesn't want it?! There was no turning back and I did not want to chicken out in front of my friends.

As I handed him a book to sign, he saw the paper in my hand and said, "Oh hey what's that paper?" and what followed was this:

My brain: "OMG ROB BELL MAAAAAHERENIHIPSTERGLASSESAOCNDSKALSAKLSCDL!!!"

What actually came out of my mouth: "Yes! I wanted to tell you that I am looking for work, I'm graduating from college in June, and I would be THE BEST assistant in the world. Call me if you need someone in LA." 

He laughed, took the paper and told me he was really happy I told him that and thank you. We walked out of the store and I thought about the piece of receipt burning a hole in his pocket. He probably already had the best assistant in the world, but maybe he could call anyways? 

I was proud of myself for putting myself out there. That was important to me; the moment I took a chance to tell someone I truly admire that I wanted to be a part of what they were doing, and to "call me. I'm can help." 


No comments:

Post a Comment