Thursday, December 22, 2011

cake face, i am not!

Society keeps trying to tell me I’m not pretty!
“You need to smell like a daisy!”
“Your hair is lacking some shine!”
“Your eyes will pop with this triple-max volume mascara!”
I need to lie down
I fear looking like a frosted birthday cake.
I fear not being real and true
I fear losing sight of how I am only earth
Walking with wide eyes through the drug store
The weight of a case of eyeliner in my hand
Is equal to that of a mountain
That I have to fight my way up,
Through blizzards of expectations
As I repeat ‘you are pretty without make up’
You are beautiful without make up
You are everything without make up
And I re-shelf the paint
I do not desire to be a piece of art on canvas
I do not desire to be smooth and flawless
Like a marble statue of Venus
All I really want
Is to have wrinkles like the rings of a tree

1 comment: