Monday, April 23, 2012

my courage runneth over


my dad had a heart attack last week-
it’s the kind of thing that happens to other people’s dads, you know?
My father is a rock. Solid. Constant.
Big smile, a laugh heartier than beef jerky.
A real bear of a man
When I heard what happened, he became daddy instead of just dad
mom became mommy
And my eyes became strained like overworked muscles
 we were instantly small
And our worry squeezed us like his constricting arteries
Out of control and waiting on a ledge of yes or no
But God stops some things before they even begin,
So he’s good to go- healing slow.
I ask him how he’s doing, if he’ll be alright, to not go into the light! Ha!
And all he says is “every day is a gift, babe- treat it that way.”

2 comments:

  1. Life is but a breath. So breathe in... again. And again. And again! Again!!

    love that this ended the way it did. love you.

    ReplyDelete