Thursday, November 8, 2012

there is a light.

A couple weeks ago, a 15 year old girl named Malala Yousufzai was shot in the head and neck on a school bus in Pakistan by the Taliban. She was targeted because she spoke out about her right to receive an education-- for all girls to receive an education. And this terrorist group shot her for it.

I bet they were even more upset when they found out that she lived.
And will keep speaking out.
She received a nomination for the International Children's Peace Prize.
And that people are rallying behind her.
Cheering for her and her friends.
For mankind.
And the goodness in all of us.

Being involved in Amnesty International has opened my eyes to...almost too much, and I'm a little scared. Because the violations of human rights globally is overwhelming. Like aperture in photography, long exposure lets in more light than short exposure. And this is going to be a life-long venture, I feel.

The other night, I came across a poem I wrote in Spain. It was long and boring and didn't rhyme, but the last line I remember and wonder what I was thinking when I wrote it. But now I feel that it is what Malala is saying to all of us.

"There is a light!!!
can you see it?
-- are your eyes open?"

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Go Malala! So courageous and strong! Thank you for sharing this story. I'm going to look into her story more. I want to open my eyes! Thanks, Becka!

    ReplyDelete